These programs provide financing for the rehabilitation of the façade of a historic commercial or mixed-use building. Activities eligible for funding under this program include architectural design and capital expenses related to the restoration of the façade of the property.
Terms & Use of Proceeds
- Façade Program – a maximum loan of $20,000
- Corner Store Program – a maximum loan of $30,000
- The programs requires that the façade be restored to its original character
- For a Façade loan, the business must be located on King Street (from Broad to Line), Spring Street, or Cannon Street
- For the Corner Store program, the mixed-use corner store must be on the list of eligible properties in the LDC offices. All properties are at least 75 years old and are located in the targeted Community Development areas of downtown Charleston. All properties must be in a historic zone or contribute to a National Register District.
- The Properties must be a commercial or mixed-use building. Buildings which are strictly residential are excluded from the programs.
- Loan applications from property owners will be considered provided the owner is an individual, partnership or for-profit business. Requests from tenants, non-profit organizations and religious organizations cannot be accepted.
- Because this is an incentive program meant to induce property owners to restore façades, only new loan applications will be accepted. No refinancing of an earlier improvement will be allowed under the program. Reimbursement requests for completed projects will be denied. Applications must be approved prior to the start of construction.
The LDC is an Equal Opportunity Lender.
RETURN TO PROGRAMS OFFERED